Non-invasive Neuromodulation Laboratory (NNL)
The Non-invasive Neuromodulation Laboratories are supported by MnDRIVE (Minnesota's Discovery, Research and InnoVation Economy) which is a landmark partnership between the University of Minnesota and the State of Minnesota. Services provided include technical support, equipment operation training, data collection assistance, data processing and analysis and custom hardware/software systems to fit specialized experiment designs.
The Non-invasive Neuromodulation Laboratories are equipped with the most advanced non-invasive neuromodulation devices/systems, including:
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, TMS: The Magstim BiStim² and Magstim 200² set (The Magstim Co. Ltd., Carmarthenshire, UK)
- Repetitive TMS, rTMS: The Magstim Rapid2 (The Magstim Co. Ltd., Carmarthenshire, UK)
- Electromyogram, EMG acquisition system: 4-ch bipolar EMG pre-amplifier (Y03-2, Motion Lab Systems, Inc., Baton Rouge, LA) (Gain: 300, band-pass filter: 20~2000Hz)
- Transcranical Direct/Alternative Current Stimulation, tDCS/tACS: Starstim NE wireless alternative/direct current stimulation system with 8-ch wireless EEG amplifier (Neuroelectrics SL, Massachusetts, USA)
- Electroencephalogram, EEG acquisition system: 64-ch Brain Products BrainAMP ExG amplification system (Brain Products GmbH, Gilching, Germany)
- Electrical stimulator: 2-ch Grass S88X constant current isolated stimulator (Natus Neurology Incorporated - Grass Products, Rhode Island, USA)
- Neuronavigation system: frameless stereotactic BrainSight II neuronavigation system (Rogue Research Inc, Quebec, Canada)
- Medical grade isolation transformer: ISB-100W medical grade isolation transformer (Power Sources Unlimited, Inc, Massachusetts, USA)
- System control platform: including data acquisition system: NI 9234 Analog-to-digital converter (National Instruments, Austin, TX) with a sampling rate up to 100K Hz with a quantification resolution of 24-bit. Real-time data monitoring and analysis system powered by LabVIEW (v2012, National Instruments, Austin, TX). Equipment communication and control system powered by LabVIEW (v2012, National Instruments, Austin, TX)
The primary Non-invasive Neuromodulation Laboratory has a space of 500 square feet for experiments and consenting paperwork. The secondary Non-invasive Neuromodulation Laboratory has the space of approximately 120 square feet for experiments and consenting paperwork and is located in a child-friendly area of the building. All operating hours allow for clinical nurse support and free participant parking. With equipment and facilities, the Non-invasive Neuromodulation Laboratories are able to conduct almost all of the non-invasive TMS excitability assessments and neuromodulation paradigms including:
- Cortical excitability assessment:
- Single pulse: basic excitability assessment including single pulse test, S-R curve, CSP and cortical grid mapping.
- Paired pulse: SICI, ICF, SICF, LICI, IHI, I-wave curve, ISI curve, CI curve and SAI.
- Neuromodulation interventions:
- Low-frequency rTMS (inhibitory) and sham
- High-frequency rTMS (facilitatory) and sham
- PAS intervention which combines low-frequency rTMS with peripheral electrical stimulation. We can easily recorded the N20 SEP by customized fast EEG acquisition method, and use the N20 as a reference to induce LTD-/LTD-like PAS neuromodulation intervention (inhibitory and facilitatory respectively)
- tDCS (StarStim, Neuroelectrics, Barcelona, Spain)
- tACS (StarStim, Neuroelectrics, Barcelona, Spain)
- Sensory function evaluation:
- N20 SEP latency
- Temporal discrimination test
- Electrical stimulation perceptual threshold
- Customized experiment protocol:
- The system control platform is highly customizable to any new/tailored protocol design.