Treatment of Social Cognition in Schizophrenia Trial
What will happen if I decide to participate?
- Research staff will conduct an eligibility interview and ask you some questions about your symptoms and how you are feeling. During a second visit, you will complete some questionnaires and a series of cognitive measures. This will take about 4 hours and can be completed in one or two visits.
- If you are eligible, and you choose to participate, you will be assigned by chance to receive either computerized social cognition exercises or a similar amount of computer games. You will complete your first training session with a coordinator.
- Over the next eight to twelve weeks, you will spend 45 minutes per day, three to five days per week completing exercises, for a total of 30 hours. After the first 15 hours of training and after 30 hours of training, you will be asked to complete the same questionnaires and measures from the beginning of the study. These will take 4 hours and can be completed in one or two visits.
- If you decide to participate in this study you will be actively involved in the research study intervention for approximately 16-20 weeks.
Who can participate?
- Have a diagnosis of schizophrenia as defined by DSM-V criteria
- Be between the ages of 18 and 65 years old
- Be in good general health
- Have been clinically stable for at least 8 weeks
- Been on stable medication for at least 6 weeks before starting the study
- Have learned English before the age of 12
- Have not had a history of severe substance use within the past 3 months
- Have not been treated within 5 years with a computer-based cognitive training program from Posit-Science