Conferences and Presentations
Lidia Zylowska, MD gave a Grand Rounds lecture in April at the Minneapolis VA Medical Center. The topic of her lecture was Mindfulness Training in Treatment of Adult ADHD.
The 2018 Minnesota Association for Children's Mental Health Conference was held in Duluth on April 15-17. Kristina Reigstad, PsyD, gave a presentation on Parent-Based Attachment Intervention Targeting Adolescent Depression: Development and Preliminary Research Findings. Katie Lingras, PhD, gave a talk on Best Practices for Supporting Infant/Toddler Social-Emotional Development in the Classroom. They were joined by Anna Parenteau and Sarah Loew, research coordinators for the department, who staffed a table that featured a display showing our newest faculty members and offered many brochures describing our Discovery Programs and Specialty Clinics.
Dr. Katie Cullen, Dr. Josh Stein (former resident and fellow), Ewa Bieber (a fellow at Mayo), and Dr. David Einzig from Children’s, traveled to Washington, DC to lobby for Children's Mental Health at the 2018 AACAP Legislative Conference & Assembly Meeting, which took place on April 8-9.
This year's American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training (AADPRT) annual meeting was held in New Orleans on March 1-3, 2018. The Department of Psychiatry was well represented and made several excellent contributions. Below is a summary of the work presented:
- Presentation for the New Program Administrators University, Jennifer Janacek, M.Ed.
- Presentation for the Lifer Program Administrators University, How to Deal with People Who Are Difficult For You, Kaz J. Nelson, M.D.
- 2018 National Neuroscience Curriculum Initiative BRAIN CONFERENCE facilitator, Kaz J. Nelson, MD
- Educational Workshops: Teaching teachers the Interview Arc- a concise and elegant model for engaging learners in the patient interview, Presenters Katharine Nelson, MD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader) Lora Wichser, MD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader) Jonathan Homans, MD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader)
- Educational Workshop: From PowerPoint to Milestone Toolkit: Three Easy Steps to a “Mini” Model Curriculum, Presenters Katharine Nelson, MD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader) Jacqueline Hobbs, MD,PhD,
- Educational Workshops: Improving psychotherapy supervision using the A-MAP and the AADPRT Empathy Toolbox Presenters Erin Crocker, MD, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics (Leader) Richelle Moen, PhD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader)
- Posters: A Problem Based Learning Approach to Teaching Landmark Studies in a Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Training Program, Presenters Afshan Anjum, MBBS, University of Minnesota (Leader) Catherine Steingraeber, MD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader) Claire Garber, DO, University of Minnesota (Leader)
- Posters: A Resident-Led Curriculum Addressing Physician Mistreatment, Presenters Laura Pientka, DO, (Leader) Rana Elmaghraby, MD, (Co-Leader) Derek LeRoux Smith, MD, (Co-Leader) Ozra Nobari, MD, (Co-Leader) Katharine Nelson, MD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader)
- Posters: Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Boot Camp: A clinical orientation for new fellows, Presenters Afshan Anjum, MBBS, University of Minnesota (Leader) Travis Fahrenkamp, MD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader) Derek Leroux Smith, MD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader)
- Posters: Pursuing wellness: A dual curriculum for prevention and early detection of resident burnout Presenters Rana Elmaghraby, MD, University of Minnesota (Leader) Ozra Nobari, MD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader) Katharine Nelson, MD, University of Minnesota (Co-Leader)