Apply for Forensic Fellowship
Prior to appointment in the program, fellows must have satisfactorily completed either an ACGME-accredited general psychiatry program or a general psychiatry program in Canada accredited by the RCPSC.
Instructions to Applicants
The University of Minnesota Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship Training Program requires completion of your file before you will be interviewed. The following items are required to complete your file:
- Completed application form
- Personal Statement
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation from Residency Faculty and one (1) Letter of Recommendation from General Psychiatry Residency Program Director
- Official USMLE scores or certified copy of USMLE scores
- Copy of license from a state that requires passing of all USMLE Steps
- Copy of medical school diploma
- Official medical school transcript
- Dean's letter from your medical school (or verification letter from your medical school)
- Two (2) writing samples (preference for case write-ups or patient psych eval reports; journal articles authored/co-authored will be looked at, but prefer psych eval reports to review)
We request that any interested applicant arrange for a personal interview to familiarize him or herself with the atmosphere, facilities, and personnel at the University of Minnesota and affiliated hospitals. Please try to schedule your interview well in advance. To make an appointment or inquiry, contact our fellowship coordinator at 612-273-9712 or submit written materials to the following address.
Visa Sponsorship Policy
J-1 Visa - Alien Physician: The standard visa for residents/fellows who are not United States Citizens or permanent residents, issued by the Education Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates.
J-2 Visa - Issued to the dependent of a J-1 visa holder.
H-1B Visa – may be considered on a case by case basis and is contingent on approval of funding for the same.
Applications Should Be Submitted To:
Serena Sherrell, Fellowship Coordinator
University of Minnesota/Department of Psychiatry
2450 Riverside Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55454-1495
- Education Office
- Medical Student Education
- Grand Rounds
- Additional Training Programs