Fairview University Medical Center
In January 1997, University of Minnesota Hospital and Clinics became a partner in the newly formed Fairview University Medical Center (FUMC), which includes both University and Riverside Campuses. This partnership formed Minnesota’s largest hospital, with more than 1800 licensed beds. Psychiatry faculty offices, Inpatient Units, Outpatient Clinics, and Emergency Services are now located on the Riverside Campus. The Psychiatry Department Consultation Services continues to operate out of the University of Minnesota Campus on the East Bank.
The University Campus houses the core of the FUMC medical and surgical beds. The University Campus hospital includes operating suites, transplant facilities, and areas for all imaging procedures, including ultrasound, CT scan, and magnetic resonance. The Riverside Campus houses general medical and surgical beds as well as a large behavioral health component. Most patients are referred from a five state area: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota, with the majority of patients being from the Twin Cities metro area.
Moos Tower, another part of the Health Sciences Center at the University Campus, contains classrooms, seminar rooms, basic medical science laboratories, and the Schools of Dentistry, Nursing, and Pharmacy. In the adjoining Philips-Wangensteen Building are more than 20 outpatient clinics, including a University Primary Care Center. Diehl Hall is composed of the Health Sciences Library and laboratory space, including the Department of Psychiatry’s basic science labs.
Graduate medical training programs in more than twenty specialty areas, as well as dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, and public health, make the University of Minnesota Health Sciences Center a particularly attractive setting for the increasing numbers of two career families.